Burch Motor Works
2020-06-05T16:13:53Z
Hi, hoping for assistance with this one.
I have a MINI R57 with CAS - internal unit fault. The ignition turns on fine but car on ramp warning comes on so we need to replace cas unit.
To replace with a used one, please could someone guide me so I don't screw it up.
I have a used one here in the workshop, but just want to check it is the right type/ power class before trying.
Do I need to make a new key with this used CAS or keep original keys for car?
Please see picture of both CAS to make sure they are compatible. Thank you
 cas units.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 cas autohex.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

abc123
  •  abc123
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2020-06-06T04:33:56Z
Probably easiest way is to do it with Hex Prog. Read / write flash and eeprom.
Autohex_II_BMW
2020-06-06T07:19:33Z
Originally Posted by: Burch Motor Works 

Hi, hoping for assistance with this one.
I have a MINI R57 with CAS - internal unit fault. The ignition turns on fine but car on ramp warning comes on so we need to replace cas unit.
To replace with a used one, please could someone guide me so I don't screw it up.
I have a used one here in the workshop, but just want to check it is the right type/ power class before trying.
Do I need to make a new key with this used CAS or keep original keys for car?
Please see picture of both CAS to make sure they are compatible. Thank you
 cas units.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 cas autohex.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

you can do in hextag swap eeprom and flash so all data will be transferred.if you want to do in autohex you can save key data ISN and FA form original CAS and check the below steps it will help.

The normal steps for the replacement of CAS (when original CAS is dead)
1. Get a working CAS with valid key
2. Read DME ISN and write it to CAS
3. Restore FA from LM to CAS from FA manager
4. Change VIN for CAS from advanced option in CAS replacement
5. GO back to the main menu in software
6. Start again with coding/programing
7. DO coding for CAS
abc123
  •  abc123
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2020-06-07T03:50:31Z
I was always wandering, sometimes on CAS individual coding, you will have the actual coding (blue filled square) ant the coding that supposed to be there (red empty square). How does the AH determine the right coding for CAS. I ask because I was trying to code CAS the other day that was from another car. I changed the VIN, ISN, restored FA from FRM to CAS and was trying to code CAS. By VIN the car has a automatic transmission, yet AH shows that it should be steptronic. So, how the AH know what should be there, in that car ???
Autohex_II_BMW
2020-06-07T05:48:12Z
Originally Posted by: abc123 

I was always wandering, sometimes on CAS individual coding, you will have the actual coding (blue filled square) ant the coding that supposed to be there (red empty square). How does the AH determine the right coding for CAS. I ask because I was trying to code CAS the other day that was from another car. I changed the VIN, ISN, restored FA from FRM to CAS and was trying to code CAS. By VIN the car has a automatic transmission, yet AH shows that it should be steptronic. So, how the AH know what should be there, in that car ???

Autohex determines coding/programming according to fa and vin so its important to restore cars original fa from frm to used cas or save from original cas and load to used cas for cas replacement, also go out and come inside to read the fa you restored or loaded on used cas, then only proceed coding or programming
abc123
  •  abc123
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2020-06-11T02:22:37Z
In my case Autohex codes the CAS to steptronic when car is automatic. Also, vehicle type is PH7G (VIN was changed), Autohex does not code it and it shows VA37. I think that might be the issue.
Levanime
2020-06-11T03:27:04Z
just clone it, easy and fast
in other case u may get wrong mileage
abc123
  •  abc123
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2020-06-11T03:38:44Z
I don't have original. I was able to change the type to PH77 based on SSD file (PH7G, does not exist) and tried to recode the CAS but Autohex still shows steptronic is the right option for this car. This car does not have S202 STEPTRONIC in VO or even in available options.