PDXAutoworks
2019-10-30T18:52:06Z
Customer bring me 2007 bmw 335i, customer complaint he can not pass emissions testing here in US because when they plug in to check readiness monitors, their scanner can not communicate.

I plug in AHII, communication is fine, I find out that he had previous shop install msd81 dme in place of faulty msd80. They perform isn change however the dme still show the donor VIN. I reprogrammed the dme and now the chassis VIN match the dme VIN however still no communication using global obd2 scanner and can not read emissions readiness monitor. I forsure thought this was because the VIN mismatch however that does not seem to be the case.

Has anyone seen this issue before, I dont know what to tell my customer. I assume the obd2 port has power and ground and communication as I was able to connect and perform programming with AHII. Does global obd2 use different protocol and maybe that communication line is down?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

e46M3dave
2019-10-31T11:53:13Z
Originally Posted by: PDXAutoworks 

Customer bring me 2007 bmw 335i, customer complaint he can not pass emissions testing here in US because when they plug in to check readiness monitors, their scanner can not communicate.

I plug in AHII, communication is fine, I find out that he had previous shop install msd81 dme in place of faulty msd80. They perform isn change however the dme still show the donor VIN. I reprogrammed the dme and now the chassis VIN match the dme VIN however still no communication using global obd2 scanner and can not read emissions readiness monitor. I forsure thought this was because the VIN mismatch however that does not seem to be the case.

Has anyone seen this issue before, I dont know what to tell my customer. I assume the obd2 port has power and ground and communication as I was able to connect and perform programming with AHII. Does global obd2 use different protocol and maybe that communication line is down?

Did you check the connectors that plug into DME? Because they are known to have corrosion on various pins causing this issue of no communication. Or sometimes a broken pin. I just did one that had half a pin broken and corrosion.

Levanime
2019-11-01T22:13:32Z
I can fix it,
PM me
PDXAutoworks
2019-11-02T02:31:29Z
So the early 2007 model 3 series uses a different protocol via the dlc to check emissions readiness / generic obd2 mode. He has a msd81 out of a 2010 3 series currently installed and it runs and drives the vehicle just fine..however 2010 3 series uses a different protocol and different wires on the dlc. I doubt this is a matter of switching pins on the dlc as my assumption is no matter what customer does he will need another msd80 in order to talk to generic mode enabling him to take it in for emissions.

Anyone have any work arounds for this?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
PDXAutoworks
2019-11-02T02:32:57Z
Originally Posted by: e46M3dave 

Originally Posted by: PDXAutoworks 

Did you check the connectors that plug into DME? Because they are known to have corrosion on various pins causing this issue of no communication. Or sometimes a broken pin. I just did one that had half a pin broken and corrosion.

Yes I inspected the dme and pins, all look good.

BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
nathansauto01
2020-01-31T03:31:44Z
Hello did you ever figure out this problem?
I' am dealing with the same situation
PDXAutoworks
2020-01-31T03:37:03Z
Unfortunately no, I did not see customer again. As far as I know, he was planning to send dme to bimecu (levanime) but I dont know if he did or not. Levan claims to have a fix however will not share further information. Business is business so I understand.
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
nathansauto01
2020-01-31T03:43:04Z
Ok thank you!
I'll post a fix if I find one
PDXAutoworks
2020-01-31T03:44:06Z
That would be great, thank you
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
RocketSurgeon
2020-01-31T18:20:57Z
There are multiple copies of VIN stored on DME, programming with UIF enabled should change VIN in additional places. Otherwise this could be a UIF problem where records still exist of original vin, particularly in original UIF.
PDXAutoworks
2020-01-31T18:36:45Z
Thank you RocketSurgeon for that information. How do I change the setting to enable programming with UIF if you don't mind me asking..?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Bronach
2020-02-03T08:15:19Z
Maybe JB4 installed ? JB4 is piggyback module and common for N54 cars. It is blocking dme communication when it is active.
Andrzej
2020-02-03T09:03:12Z
check communications for obd socket pin 9 and DME pin 21.regards
BRMTDI
2020-06-23T17:38:34Z
Anyone figure out fix? I’m having same issue..wonder what solution is so I can solve it in the future.
PDXAutoworks
2020-06-24T15:09:00Z
Originally Posted by: BRMTDI 

Anyone figure out fix? I’m having same issue..wonder what solution is so I can solve it in the future.

I have solution. PM me.
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Admin
  •  Admin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Administration
2020-06-25T17:27:36Z
No PM is allowed. if you have the solution post it here!
PDXAutoworks
2020-06-25T23:31:41Z
I'm sorry, let me clarify. I do not give out solution / directions over PM. I only provide my paid services to repair the problem.

If this is not allowed, I will not do it anymore.
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer