NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2021-12-29T14:50:03Z
Hello,

I made a key for this vehicle yesterday. It was cas3++ with msd81 dme. I downgraded the cas no problem, tried reading the dme isn obd but no luck. Pulled the dme, got the isn no problem. I was able to program the key ok, remote works and starts the car. The problem is the engine rpm is going up and down and no throttle response. I upgraded the cas thinking that might help but same thing. I pulled out a different scanner to clear codes but a couple of code in the dme would not go away. I should have taken a pic of the codes but i didnt, they did have to do with the throttle body or something of that nature.

Is it possible the problem has something to do with some sort of coding mismatch after programming? This was a repo car with no known history and it was pretty junky so it might have existing issues. I just want to make sure it wasnt something I could have caused or fixed.

Also, under diagnosis in autohex, how do I know which selection to choose, there are e,f and g, with a bunch of options, not sure which number to choose. Is there something on the car that easily identifies which?
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

BMWZG
  •  BMWZG
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2021-12-29T15:03:01Z
You made key and don't know for wchich series ?? CAS3 is in Exx series. Besides what faults You have in DME ?
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2021-12-29T15:50:16Z
I figured it was Exx but I dont know how to determine what the XX is. Besides, to make a key for this vehicle, I know its cas, its upgraded, I know I have to downgrade and pull the dme to get the isn. I never really paid attention to what the body number was.

I used im608 to pull fault codes but would rather have done it with autohex but wasnt sure of the number to choose. I forgot to take a pic of the faults but there were 2 faults in the dme dealing with the throttle body that didnt go away when i did the quick erase. I can go back to the vehicle as it is still in the repo yard. Its a bit of a junker so its possible it might be a preexisting issue but Id like to solve it if I can.
BMWZG
  •  BMWZG
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2021-12-29T19:05:42Z
535i from 2008 is E60 ( or E61). Read Faults from DME.
Amar
  •  Amar
  • 61.4% (Friendly)
2021-12-30T03:38:13Z
Originally Posted by: NwaLocks 

I figured it was Exx but I dont know how to determine what the XX is. Besides, to make a key for this vehicle, I know its cas, its upgraded, I know I have to downgrade and pull the dme to get the isn. I never really paid attention to what the body number was.

I used im608 to pull fault codes but would rather have done it with autohex but wasnt sure of the number to choose. I forgot to take a pic of the faults but there were 2 faults in the dme dealing with the throttle body that didnt go away when i did the quick erase. I can go back to the vehicle as it is still in the repo yard. Its a bit of a junker so its possible it might be a preexisting issue but Id like to solve it if I can.

Downgrade CAS & pull DME out?

The whole idea of downgrade is to make CAS into unencrypted state to read isn

If you were going to pull DME anyway, No point in downgrading CAS or vice versa
Autohex_II_BMW
2021-12-30T11:20:33Z
as you try read dme isn for continental dme on car without ignition on car, there are chances dme will be in programming mode. but as your car starting dme look like not in programming mode. please try program dme and check if car is ok. hope you already restore the cas from cas firmware.
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2021-12-30T17:03:01Z
Originally Posted by: Amar 

Downgrade CAS & pull DME out?

The whole idea of downgrade is to make CAS into unencrypted state to read isn

If you were going to pull DME anyway, No point in downgrading CAS or vice versa

Obviously Im not an expert on BMW but when the cas is upgraded, autohex tells you you have to downgrade the cas under cas firmware option. It doesnt even get to the point of asking for the isn. You can not add a key via obd to an upgraded cas that I can tell. If you pull the cas and read data via bdm, thats different.
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2021-12-30T17:09:33Z
Originally Posted by: Autohex_II_BMW 

as you try read dme isn for continental dme on car without ignition on car, there are chances dme will be in programming mode. but as your car starting dme look like not in programming mode. please try program dme and check if car is ok. hope you already restore the cas from cas firmware.

I now realize that my attempt to read the dme with the ignition off may be the issue. At the very end, autohex states that the ignition must be on to read the isn, so obviously I did not have the ignition on, so I selected "no" at that point but maybe it already was too late. I didnt realize what type of dme was in the car but now Ive done a few, I think by looking at the car, Ill be able to tell if its better just to pull the dme.

Can I program the dme through obd? I dont have full autohex software, but I do have the full locksmith package, not the light locksmith version.

NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2021-12-30T17:10:41Z
and yes, I restored the cas already.
Autohex_II_BMW
2022-01-03T06:54:50Z

Originally Posted by: Autohex_II_BMW 

I now realize that my attempt to read the dme with the ignition off may be the issue. At the very end, autohex states that the ignition must be on to read the isn, so obviously I did not have the ignition on, so I selected "no" at that point but maybe it already was too late. I didnt realize what type of dme was in the car but now Ive done a few, I think by looking at the car, Ill be able to tell if its better just to pull the dme.

Can I program the dme through obd? I dont have full autohex software, but I do have the full locksmith package, not the light locksmith version.

please check the dme name using vin before reading isn without ignition as continental dme need ignition to read isn on car. you can program dme obd but need programming package to do so.
applerallph
2022-01-03T12:59:36Z
..disconnect throttle wiring and plug back and disconnect the big connector on ecu and plug back then clear ECU faults car is specifically stating a throttle control unit failure a subject completely separate to programming bm's do this more often if yu disconnect ECU yu can as well try throttle body alignment/ clear adaptations if function is there in special functions (ISTA D)
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-01-04T01:12:09Z
Very frustrating. I read many times from this forum that its ok to try to read isn from dme through obd, if it doesnt work, pull the dme. no mention of continental dme having issues if you try to read with ignition off. I have no problem pulling the dme but obviously its nice to read via obd if possible.
I wish there was some warning before I tried. Only at the end of the process it says that the continental dme must be on, so obviously at that point I select no and back out but I think its too late at that point. Now I have to deal with this car not running correctly.

What is the site where I can check the dme before trying? I asked this before but got a link to a website that was not functioning.
Levanime
2022-01-04T04:16:22Z
just re-adapt the throttle body
floor gas pedal,
insert key and turn on ignition (check engine light on, engine not running)
wait 15s
pull they fob and let off gas pedal
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-01-04T23:20:34Z
Originally Posted by: Levanime 

just re-adapt the throttle body
floor gas pedal,
insert key and turn on ignition (check engine light on, engine not running)
wait 15s
pull they fob and let off gas pedal

thanks, I will give that a shot when I go back out to the car.

NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-01-04T23:21:59Z
I would still like to know the website to check the dme by vin. Also would like to know how to determine the body number Exx, Fxx, Gxx. thanks
BMWZG
  •  BMWZG
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2022-01-05T08:02:49Z
The best sites are web ETK and Google.
NwaLocks
  •  NwaLocks
  • 71.8% (Friendly)
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-01-06T18:57:03Z
Went back out, put the key in the slot, turned ignition on, engine off, pushed accelerator to the floor. Turned ignition off then started the car and it ran fine.

I think there is still some other issues, the car would not stay in drive or reverse. Shifting into gear, i could feel the car shift and start to move but would go back to park. This was a repo car, bit of a junker, tires I believe were flat. Mechanic is going to look at it but i dont think that is my issue.

Thanks for the help.