WeissNicht
2020-10-16T18:36:23Z
Hi Folks,

I just received my hextag (Fast delivery from Dubai; thanks a lot).

I jus wonder if a seperate power supply is needed for on the bench readout and writing.
If so, there is no Info what the connector of the power supply should be.

- Diameter of the barrel connector
- Polarity of the barrel connector.

So, which diameter is needed, and is +12V on the inner connector, or on the outside? I just don´t want to fry the hextag.
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

RocketSurgeon
2020-10-16T22:08:05Z
Standard 5.5mm barrel connector. Ground on the outside, positive on the inside. They ask that you limit the power to 12.5volts, 2.5 amps to prevent damage to the tool in the event of a short circuit or bad ECU.
In my experience, most ECUs top out at about 750ma during read/write.
Autohex_II_BMW
2020-10-17T06:09:56Z
Originally Posted by: WeissNicht 

Hi Folks,

I just received my hextag (Fast delivery from Dubai; thanks a lot).

I jus wonder if a seperate power supply is needed for on the bench readout and writing.
If so, there is no Info what the connector of the power supply should be.

- Diameter of the barrel connector
- Polarity of the barrel connector.

So, which diameter is needed, and is +12V on the inner connector, or on the outside? I just don´t want to fry the hextag.

yes you can use any 12V 2-2.5 A normal AC/DC adapter.
NwaLocks
2020-11-03T23:41:49Z
I have a tekpower tp3005p power supply with 3 separate connectors, pos, neg and ground. Is there a way i can use this? I see the 12v 2a power supplies online but they all seem very cheap. Im not sure i trust them for programming expensive modules.

Edit: I found some connectors on amazon with a 5.5mm barrel connector on one side, other side was split into pos/neg wires.
Autohex_II_BMW
2020-11-04T06:16:33Z
Originally Posted by: NwaLocks 

I have a tekpower tp3005p power supply with 3 separate connectors, pos, neg and ground. Is there a way i can use this? I see the 12v 2a power supplies online but they all seem very cheap. Im not sure i trust them for programming expensive modules.

Edit: I found some connectors on amazon with a 5.5mm barrel connector on one side, other side was split into pos/neg wires.

My only question now, when i hook up the negative wire to the power supply, do i connect it to the ground or negative terminal??

if you are using adjustable power supply make sure you set the ampere to max 3A.