Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2017-07-11T12:15:11Z
Hi guys, does anyone have an MSV80 boot mode diagram?
I want to be able to copy the Eeprom over to another DME.

Thanks
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

Gbyleveldt
2017-07-12T03:37:59Z
There's a diagram on the BMW-Explorer website. When using ISN-tool, select MSD81 under e series to read.
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-12T16:06:16Z
Thanks Gbyleveldt

You know you were saying that you simply swap the chip on the MSV80 DME.

Can you tell me exactly which chip you swap from each unit?

I want to try and get passed the dreaded 'incorrect data record' error.

Thanks
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-12T17:02:24Z
Is it simply a case of swapping the chips detailed on the explorer website and adding the resistors to be able to read the Eeprom, or do you only swap one chip from the damaged ecu and solder it onto the replacement? If it is just a swap of chips from the old to the new DME, which chip is it, do you have a picture of sorts?

Thanks
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-12T17:06:06Z
 image006.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

perhaps the chip in the centre with the circle?
Autohex_II_BMW
2017-07-12T23:35:54Z
Hello Justin.
To get rid of incorrect data, you must clone the eeprom.
ISN will not help. No working hours reset is available for this module.
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-12T23:46:19Z
Hi guys, thanks

I think I'll just swap the Emprom chip, it's probably the easiest way on the MSV80.

Thanks
Gbyleveldt
2017-07-13T04:35:38Z
Yessir, it really is the easiest. It's the 95640 chip (8 pin) that sits on the other side of pcb. You have to remove the 4 screws that holds pcb and then flip it over to get to eeprom.

Once you cloned the eeprom, then you can flash the ecu with the correct software version. Once this is done, you code ecu. Only then do you try and read ISN from ecu. I've now done many many of these MSV80 ECUs with no worry about power class anymore.

The eeprom you read using ISN Tool is virtual eeprom in Tricore, not physical eeprom on pcb.
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-13T14:28:48Z
Perfect, thanks Gbyleveldt.
It works perfectly, providing users have the correct solder and de-solder l kit.
A solder sucker is imperative. So better to invest in a proper solder station kit with a vacuum activated solder removal part.

Thanks again mate
Gbyleveldt
2017-07-13T17:55:31Z
Pleasure buddy, glad you came right!

I prefer using a hot air station to remove the eeproms. Prior to fitting them back, I use some solder wick to remove old solder from pads on pcb. I add some tacky flux to the pads. Using a fine tipped iron, I position the chip nicely and tack one leg down. Once I'm happy it's all aligned properly, I solder all the rest of the legs.

You can cheat by not removing old solder, but adding tacky flux to the pads. If your hand is stable enough, you can heat the pads using a hot air station, plonk the chip down nicely and heat over pads to make sure its soldered correctly. I do this under a microscope to make sure joints are good.

I routinely do qfp144 chips using the first method. In this case a good stereo microscope is essential.
Levanime
2017-07-13T22:29:16Z
Originally Posted by: Gbyleveldt 

I prefer using a hot air station to remove the eeproms. Prior to fitting them back, I use some solder wick to remove old solder from pads on pcb. I add some tacky flux to the pads. Using a fine tipped iron, I position the chip nicely and tack one leg down. Once I'm happy it's all aligned properly, I solder all the rest of the legs.

I do exactly same
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
2017-07-18T11:12:45Z
This is why this forum is great.
The sharing of information is first class.
Keep it up boys!!!
karim
2019-10-03T00:23:21Z
Originally Posted by: Justin 

Hi guys, thanks
hey would u please explain
if you clone the emprom why you gonna read the isn ?
do you need to edit in cas ?
I think I'll just swap the Emprom chip, it's probably the easiest way on the MSV80.

Thanks

Willisodhiambo
2019-10-05T09:20:18Z
Great info. I have had a rough time with these MSV80s and MSV80.1s. Now I have an idea how I will tackle the next one. Just need to improve my soldering skills. If this chip is heated to remove it with hot airgun. What is the safest temperature to use?

Thanks guys for the useful leads
andresmineitor
2019-10-15T22:47:41Z
Originally Posted by: Gbyleveldt 

Yessir, it really is the easiest. It's the 95640 chip (8 pin) that sits on the other side of pcb. You have to remove the 4 screws that holds pcb and then flip it over to get to eeprom.

Once you cloned the eeprom, then you can flash the ecu with the correct software version. Once this is done, you code ecu. Only then do you try and read ISN from ecu. I've now done many many of these MSV80 ECUs with no worry about power class anymore.

The eeprom you read using ISN Tool is virtual eeprom in Tricore, not physical eeprom on pcb.

hello friend good afternoon I have an ecumsv80 was 3.0 cylindrics now I have 2.5 because I got an ecu by ebay of them but I get 2.5 and can leave half, edio of the mess because I turned on but the issue is that the car was with little power I need to pass it to 3.0
I have an ecu that according to the part number is 3.0 but it is bad and I uncover it and it has eprom 95640 and so I understood if one passes that eprom can one update it to 3.0 the question of mine is if the autohex passes it to me to 3.0 because I put eprom of 3.0 that's what I'm going
I have a problem with the client because I do not get another one at the moment and I have that doubt to pass the eprom and see if it goes to 3.0 since I programmed the same in individual coding and he updated me the same ecu but not the change of displacement maybe why is 2.5

if I pass the eprom that has the ecu 3.0 it will be passed to 3.0 again friend thanks
I also have a wasapt autohex group. If you like to add it, I add it, my number is +573133048798 If you like, keep the number like that and write to me, I appreciate your collaboration too