Autohex_II_BMW
2019-04-14T08:06:50Z
TIP:
When doing on Bench operations in Autohex/Hextag we recommend to use power supply of 12V and 1-2A ,autohex has components to protect the high currents supplied but for on bench the current is passed down through autohex hardware itself when bypassed from DME.so it is safer to use lower ampere supplies.
The idea is, when you use on bench there is a chance to have a short between an extra power wire from tricore cable with dme chassis. This high current will pass through the mosfet inside the Autohex. It may damage this mosfet when your power supply can provide high current like 5A or more, because this 5A current will pass through this Mosfet which means 5*12=60W.
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

RocketSurgeon
2019-04-14T20:34:38Z
What is the minimum voltage and amperage?
I'm using a power supply that puts out 11.9 volts and 1 amp.
Autohex_II_BMW
2019-04-15T13:46:23Z
Originally Posted by: RocketSurgeon 

What is the minimum voltage and amperage?
I'm using a power supply that puts out 11.9 volts and 1 amp.

this is enough.
Admin
  •  Admin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Administration
2019-04-15T20:17:08Z
The DME will need maximum 600 mA. Same for FEM.
RocketSurgeon
2019-04-16T01:54:22Z
Originally Posted by: Admin 

The DME will need maximum 600 mA. Same for FEM.

Perfect, that's exactly the information I was hoping for.
It would seem that most of the "12 volt" supplies put out more like 13-14v.
What is the minimum safe voltage?
Admin
  •  Admin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Administration
2019-04-16T21:07:55Z
The more voltage, the less Current needed.
So let’s say you have a power supply of 12V and DME consumes 350mA, if you make the voltage 14V then the current should be around 300mA.
I think you are safe when you work on bench as low as 11.5V and 1A, the perfect supply would be 12.5V , 1A
This is applicable to all modules except the HU_NBT.
Justin
  •  Justin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member
2019-04-16T22:30:44Z
Can I confirm, this power process is only when using the tricore cable and the FEM cable when doing FEM unlocking. The adaptor supplied with the Autohex hardware supplies 11.5 - 12.0 volts, up to a maximum of 1A, so this should be fine.

For those of us with full bench setups, working through the OBD cable on the bench, do we still use the normal 13.8 volts advised by the Autohex software whilst programming?

This is obviously very important in order to a avoid damaging our hardware units, so it best to make sure.
Admin
  •  Admin
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Administration
2019-04-18T00:59:04Z
I will explain in a different way.
You work on bench, you connect the DME to Autohex by the tricore cable, there is extra red and black wires (12v wires and ground wires), accidentally red and black wires connected... or red wire touched the DME chassis.
Autohex started the function by supplying the DME 12V ( or moe ), this short will come via some components in Autohex that can handle fairly acceptable amount of current, but you allow to your power supply to provide up to 10A current. In this case you probably will end with a damaged Autohex.
Our advice here is to limit your power supply current to 1-2A max.
Infamous
2019-04-18T02:47:51Z
Oh so the lower voltage is just in case wire short to each other for example positive touch negative...my power supply shut down power if too much load is drawn or positive touch negative so am i safe to leave at 13-14 voltage?
Findlaybum
2019-04-18T06:15:41Z
 20190418_121946.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.Why not just get a dedicated Bench Variable Power Supply 0>30v 0>2amp ...then you will be covered... ??
OFFICIAL FRIEND OF OFFICIAL AUTOHEX II PARTNER .. AND OFFICIAL FRIEND OF THE BOSS .:)
useyourbrains
2019-04-18T10:56:17Z
Originally Posted by: Admin 

I will explain in a different way.
You work on bench, you connect the DME to Autohex by the tricore cable, there is extra red and black wires (12v wires and ground wires), accidentally red and black wires connected... or red wire touched the DME chassis.
Autohex started the function by supplying the DME 12V ( or moe ), this short will come via some components in Autohex that can handle fairly acceptable amount of current, but you allow to your power supply to provide up to 10A current. In this case you probably will end with a damaged Autohex.
Our advice here is to limit your power supply current to 1-2A max.

So make tricore or onbench cable with this ones UserPostedImage