PDXAutoworks
2019-12-22T21:46:10Z
Customer states he purchased 2008 e87 135i that had already had the msd80 replaced with msd81. He says previous owner installed msd81 dme, matching cas & key. Because of this type of swap, the VIN does not match the chassis VIN. He can not pass emissions testing because of the VIN mismatch.

My question is without having the original cas present and installed, how can I change the VIN on the dme to match the chassis. Will autohex retrieve correct VIN from chassis and I can simply perform individual coding on dme to overwrite the VIN?

Thank you for your input.
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Sponsor

Start ECU Repairing, ECU Cloning, and Chip Tuning today, all from an incredible price of just USD 385.00.

No annual fees, no extra charges: You pay only when you have a job.

Visit Hexprog II page

Autohex_II_BMW
2019-12-23T06:25:55Z
Originally Posted by: PDXAutoworks 

Customer states he purchased 2008 e87 135i that had already had the msd80 replaced with msd81. He says previous owner installed msd81 dme, matching cas & key. Because of this type of swap, the VIN does not match the chassis VIN. He can not pass emissions testing because of the VIN mismatch.

My question is without having the original cas present and installed, how can I change the VIN on the dme to match the chassis. Will autohex retrieve correct VIN from chassis and I can simply perform individual coding on dme to overwrite the VIN?

Thank you for your input.

if you want to do it on bench you can connect CAS and DME on bench and do coding for dme from indiv coding.DME will adapt VIN based on CAS.i have attached on bench connection diagram to connect these ECU for coding/programming.
 HW4 CAS3.png You have insufficient rights to see the content. HW4 MSV80.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
PDXAutoworks
2019-12-23T06:54:42Z
Well the issue is the original CAS is not present and the owner does not have access to it. Is there anything I can do? Can I read the original isn from another module other then the cas or dme?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
quarry motors
2019-12-23T12:18:27Z
HI
You can write original vin into cas with advanced options for cas replacement but you may need to do cas firmware first
restore fa from footwell module if this is original from vehicle - check with chassis number stamped on car
carry out programming of dme and this should change chassis number for you in dme
no need to alter isn
PDXAutoworks
2019-12-24T16:54:35Z
As it turns out, owner of vehicle was mislead by previous owner. The CAS and DME were both original to the vehicle.

After some investigation, we believe the cause of the incorrect VIN showing on the DME was due to a used jb4 piggyback tuner being installed and the VIN not being corrected within the tuner.

I instructed the owner to remove the jb4 and see what VIN reads. I have not heard back from owner but does this seem like a legitimate reason as to why it could be showing a different VIN?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer
Levanime
2019-12-31T20:19:22Z
Originally Posted by: PDXAutoworks 

As it turns out, owner of vehicle was mislead by previous owner. The CAS and DME were both original to the vehicle.

After some investigation, we believe the cause of the incorrect VIN showing on the DME was due to a used jb4 piggyback tuner being installed and the VIN not being corrected within the tuner.

I instructed the owner to remove the jb4 and see what VIN reads. I have not heard back from owner but does this seem like a legitimate reason as to why it could be showing a different VIN?

no, jb4 can not change the vin
PDXAutoworks
2019-12-31T20:22:19Z
Even if jb4 was taken from another vehicle and installed on customer vehicle? How then is it that the VIN does not show correctly on scanner with original dme installed?
BMW File Service
VAG Immo Data Transfer