BMW Ecu Programming is the procedure for re-writeing and updating a new software in the control unit flash memory. BMW is one of the earliest cars equipped electronic control unit to control and perform the various functions in the car. Improper data or insufficient data inside these ECUs while the Ecu Programming will cause faults.
AutoHex II can solve this kind of issue in BMW and MINI ECUs with a single click, BMW Ecu programming is a straightforward procedure with AutoHex II scan tool, simply select any Ecu to program, AutoHex II will do the following in one step:
- Program the BMW Ecu to the latest flash version, this update is calculated based on the FA (Vehicle Order).
- Coding the Ecu to match the configurations of the vehicle, this is also calculated based on Vehicle Order.
- Change the VIN in BMW ECU if it is not matching the car’s VIN.
- Perform some important service functions.
Above all will be done by flashing the module with AutoHex II.
BMW ECU Programming using AutoHex II:
Ecu programming in AutoHex II is an online procedure. So, it is required to connect to the internet before starting using the BMW Ecu programming procedure. Then AutoHex II software will download the required data flash from Microtronik server database.
It is important to arrange a good battery booster connected to the car, the voltage must remain above 13V during all the programming sessions, and the laptop must be connected to a charger if the BMW Ecu programming period will take a long time.
The programming menu is inside the coding/programming option in AutoHex II software. When you select coding/programming, AutoHex II will read the FA and I level data of the car. This FA is significant in calculating the flash version for the BMW ECUs. So inside coding/programming Indiv programming option will be given to program the modules on the BMW car individually.
How to program ECUs in BMW and MINI:
After selecting Individual Programming from the AutoHex II BMW menu, AutoHex II software will start calculating the Ecus flash updates. This may take:
- Few seconds if the car is E series
- Few minutes if the car is F/G series and it is the first time to be tested.
- Few seconds if the car is F/G series and being tested before.
Inside Indiv programming option the results of the Ecus updates will appear eventually on a list describing each Ecu as in the below order:
- BMW Hardware Part Number
- BMW Software Part Number
- The Status of this Ecu
- The required Action of this Ecu
The status of the Ecu is a very important indication of the state of ECU on the car, there will be any of the following possibilities:
- Update Available: This Ecu is compatible with the stored vehicle order in the car, there is an update available for this Ecu.
- Updated: This Ecu is compatible with the stored vehicle order, no update is required as it has the latest version, and it is possible only to code ECU.
- Replace with XXXXXXX: This Ecu is NOT COMPATIBLE, and must be replaced with a compatible part. (Or swapped by expert mode)
- Mount XXXXXXX: The Ecu could not be found, it may not respond or it is not mounted (usually you will see BMW Hardware and BMW Software zeros).
After selecting the ECU to program Autohex II allows jumping to the next step only if Ecu is compatible, OR marked Replace With if AutoHex configuration setup selected in Expert mode (this is for BMW E series only).
For F series it is important to get the compatible part number to program ECU successfully. In some cases, F series ECUs will have a status not compatible try flashing in that case it is possible to flash to make even the F series ECUs compatible with the car.
If the flash status is like the above next step will show Ecu details such as current VIN, current Part number, Target part number, and Estimated Required Time for programming. Also, there will be an indication of programming percentage indication bar to show the online programming percentage.
Once proceed to Start, AutoHex II will check the conditions like Car battery voltage, and laptop battery status, then it will download the required flashing data from the Microtronik server. If all conditions are passed, then will start preparing the vehicle for programming, and starts the programming session afterward.
It is important not to disturb the vehicle or AutoHex II during the programming session and also make sure good internet connection to the laptop. Indiv programming for the module will be completed depending on ECU type and internet speed and will be updated to the latest flash version.
The major aspect of AutoHex II is that whole these complicated programming calculations will be done by the tool itself in the background. Also, will flash the ECUs in a single click in software with the exact flash version.
For F/G series ECUs that already flash status Updated in Indiv Programming and Customers who need to reflash can contact the AutoHex support team and they will help with reflash those ECUs.
Below video shows BMW Ecu Programming using Autohex II.